Head of School (2022)
Abiqua Academy, the finest college-preparatory independent school in the beautiful Willamette Valley of Oregon, is seeking a Head of School to start in the summer of 2022 and lead our school for many years.
About the school and the role:
The first thing that you will notice about Abiqua is that our “HEART” values — Honor, Empathy, Accountability, Respect, and Teamwork — truly guide every interaction among our 180 students from pre-k through twelfth grade and our faculty and staff. Our academically rigorous school is filled with joy and love of learning. If you think you would like to represent and advance the HEART values and academic excellence in your work every day, you might be a good fit for our school.
Our master teachers set high expectations, support their students in small classes, and guide each student to reach their potential. Our teachers recognize that the educational process is about creating independent learners who develop the critical thinking skills to grow and thrive. We are looking for a Head of School who partners with our faculty collaboratively and transparently to build an aligned, fourteen-year program.
We are proud of our tight-knit community. In most years, our committed and positive parents are in classrooms every day as volunteer readers, classroom assistants, and representatives of their careers and industries. We are looking for a Head of School who wants to continue this important tradition of parent engagement on campus.
You will prioritize engagement opportunities, like sharing hot cocoa with an outstanding student of the week after each Monday’s Family Time assembly, during which students develop confidence in public speaking. You are the kind of head who supports the enthusiasm of the faculty when they dress up in costume to celebrate our next experiential, integrated, thematic unit.
• You have a track record of supervisory experience as an administrator at a small independent school. You can manage a vast array of demands with kindness, professionalism, and dignity. You can delegate effectively to a small but strong administrative team, yet you are always curious and knowledgeable about the details.
• You inspire and build trust in colleagues, parents, and donors alike: you have an ambitious but realistic vision, you communicate well in writing and in speech, and your reputation for integrity precedes you.
• Your familiarity with fundraising and budgeting helps you invest in professional development for staff and the continuous improvement of our campus without sacrificing class size or program quality.
• Your previous experience as a classroom teacher makes you able to empathize with teachers about the challenges of teaching, and you model lifelong learning yourself.
• You are excited about leading Abiqua to the next level of excellence as the school achieves its strategic objectives and becomes widely viewed as an indispensable community asset.
We value diversity, and we are committed to equal opportunity.
We are proud to offer generous compensation packages and benefits, including tuition discounts. Salem is a gorgeous and affordable place to live, a city of trees and parks with a thriving downtown. Hiking is all around us, skiing is within a few hours from our doorstep, and the Oregon coast is just over an hour away by car. We would be delighted to help partners find professional opportunities in the Salem area, as well.
Does this opportunity intrigue you? If so, we invite you to apply online to learn more. Please apply as soon as possible for a July 1, 2022 start date. Inquiries will be considered as they arrive and will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality.
Thank you very much for your interest in Abiqua Academy.
This position is presented by Tradition Search Partners.